Wednesday, September 19, 2007

radio sententia -- Monteverdi's "L'Orfeo"

Still trying to keep my head above the ocean of work. In the meantime, I leave you a great video of an aria from Claudio Monteverdi's "L'Orfeo" -- one of the first operas. It is conducted by one of my favorite early music directors and a mean viol da gamba player, Jordi Savall, and sung beautifully by his wife, Montserrat Figueras.

Oh, and the guy in the balcony with the drum and the beard is the coolest guy on earth.



UPDATE: As you can see, they won't let me show this on the blog. It's worth going to YouTube for. Here's the link.

5 comments:

cowboyangel said...

Nice. Except I kept waiting for them to break into Pink Floyd at any moment.

Wasn't that bearded guy in Izquierda Unida?

Orfeo's such a cool story and has made a lot of great operas and films, eh?

Garpu said...

And that's another of my favorites...Ever seen the movie "Black Orpheus"? Great music in that, too.

crystal said...

I have to restart my browser - can't see it at YouTube either. I'm so lokking forward to a song from an opera about my favorite cookie.

Oops, not Oreo after all :-( That's ok, I like Orpheus, and he's also edible.

crystal said...

Liam, did you see Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's speech?

Liam said...

No -- my sister went to it, I'm anxious to hear what she had to say. I did just get back from campus, since I had to return a book and make some photocopies. It's quite the madhouse up there.