Thursday, December 07, 2006

feast of St Ambrose

St. Ambrose.

This is not really a responsible post. This is just me checking in. You see, I have been tremendously productive with the charters this week, but it has left little time for blogging. So I will just link you to other people who have been writing worthwhile posts.

I will say little more about dear St. Ambrose. As usual, I leave you with the Franciscans at American Catholic for more information. I was going to write about St. Nicholas yesterday, but Crystal scooped me with a great post on St. Nick's final resting place. What she didn't mention was (I believe I'm remembering right) Nicholas, the bishop of Myra, was present at the Council of Nicaea in 325. So next time you recite the Nicaean creed, remember that Santa Claus was involved in its creation.

I haven't been to Bari, but I have been to Milan and I have seen the tomb of St. Ambrose. He's a bit thin, but all in all he looks pretty good for someone who's been dead for 1,600 years.


The tomb of St. Ambrose in Milan.

Speaking of relics, there is a post in dotCommonweal on a boycott of Ebay called by some Catholics who were distressed by the sale of relics on that website. Really everyone, we've been trying to regulate all of this since the Fourth Lateran Council in 1215. Buy your relics from an authorized dealer.


Guillaume le Fou has written a wonderful post about a woman who probably should be a saint, but isn't. I don't know about her relics. Jeff has written a great piece on Iraq, which should be required reading.

That's all for now, I must get back to my charters. Enjoy the links.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Hi Liam,

Thanks for remembering good old 'Brose, and for the plug.

Selling relics on eBay! I saw that too. Some ideas just won't die. A couple of years ago it was consecrated hosts. What next? Indulgences? Time for 95 new theses? In the information age, what should serve as the replacement for the door at Wittenberg?

crystal said...

The people who are really upset about eBay policies are the Reticulans ... no selling of body parts means they have to purchase everything on the black market. As Agent Mulder once asked, "Do you have any idea what liver and onions goes for on Reticula?"

Hah! (Bari) :-)

cowboyangel said...

Weren't the Reticulans a band? Didn't they do "More Than a Feeling"?

Thanks for posting. I was getting worried that I wouldn't have anywhere to make my absurd and long-winded comments.

And I think you HAVE posted responsibly. Just by posting.

Crystal says that Santa is a short Italian guy. Is that true? Was Rudolph actually Rudolfo?

Wikipedia says Santa is Turkish.

I'm very confused.

BTW, I was stunned to read how incredibly similar the life of St. Ambrose was to that of San Juan Diego. And how in the world did Ambrose get to Mexico back in 340 A.D.? Then I realized that your link went to the "Soup of the Day," and that the Soup, I mean the Saint, changes every day. I was getting even more confused than I was reading Crystal's blog on Santa being a Templar who played in Blue Oyster Cult.

Jeff said...

Crys and Cowboy, I don't know...

If you're really interested in doing a brisk business in holy relics, I'm not sure that the Tetzel-like medievalist at Reliquiae Verae is going to have the comprehensive set of inventory necessary to meet your needs.

If you're looking for antiquities such as, oh let's say, the cinders from the Burning Bush, come on over to Aun Estamos Vivos, and get 'em while they're still hot!