Tuesday, September 26, 2006

laxity and delusion


After struggling with so many great ideas and the clash of civilizations and relics and books and religion...





I declare today official silly blogging day.

I accept neither depth nor coherence.

Today is all about the glorious reality that is writing whatever one can pull ex culo and immediately publish on the internet.

What could be better?

I could write pages about mustard, tomes about dust, volumes about mistied shoes. I could seriously type randomly: ashjsdh shdghsdgi.

I can do these things, I have the technology.









I could write nasty poems about the Bush administration in Latin (cur morta est intelligentia?) and then turn that Latin into pig-Latin Latin (ur-cay orta-may est-ay intelligentia-ay?).

I could speak flippantly about my dissertation. For example I could imagine having the chance to meet one of the historical figures I am writing about in order to sort some things out. For example, I could meet Alfonso VII in a bowling alley. I would say things to him like: "Just spin the ball to the right, that way you might get the pin on the right to slide across and hit the one on the left. By the way, did you really order that charter giving the monastery of Sahagun the right to coin money in 1119? No, a smooth movement with the arm..." Of course, I could get testy: "You know, you don't have to tell us you were crowned emperor in every single charter! I've read about five hundred of them now. You come off like a blowhard. Knock it off."

I'm working too hard, I guess.



The tape, seal and church sign? Here.

8 comments:

crystal said...

Uh oh ... now look what you've done ... pontification :-)

crystal said...

sorry - deleted it.

cowboyangel said...

Oh great, I was finally about to blog on Sartre's Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology. Now what do I do? I suppose I could post a Meditation on Hell.

Wait, Crystal's already done that!

:-)

Loved the bowling with Alphonso VII.

cowboyangel said...

Hey, is all of this giddiness from DAVE? Are you going to blog about DAVE? We poor and huddled by our computer masses might want to know about your experience.

Liam said...

I will soon blog about DAVE. Right now I'm reading more charters ("Yes, I KNOW the count of Barcelona and king of Navarre are your vassals! Get over yourself!").

Actually, I needed a silly break after the long comment section on my last post.

Jeff said...

Oh my goodness. What a powerful weapon you've placed in my hands. I'll be up to no good with this thing. With my taste for wicked satire and poison pen, I may not be able to restrain myself.

crystal said...

I got a little carried away with it myself ... here

Jeff said...

Ba dump bump..

"Danke, danke. Zank you. I'll be here all ze week."