Friday, September 29, 2006

Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael











The images are by, from top to bottom, Dominico Ghirlandaio, Raphael, Piero della Francesca, Andrei Rublev, and anonymous (the tenth-century Girona Beatus).


I have nothing much to add to the visuals today, except to say that the first reading for today is from (pick one) either the weird and cool Book of Daniel or the weird and cool Book of Revelations.

I also insist that everyone read Guillaume le Fou's important post on what's happening right now in Mexico, about which we hear very little north of the border.

Happy archangel day, everyone.




























































3 comments:

crystal said...

Great pictures!

In magic, I've read, the four anrchangels (Uriel too) are often used as the watchtowers or guardians of north, south, east and west. My favorite is Raphael from the story of Tobit.

I did read Guillaume's post yesterday on Mexico but didn't know enough about the subject to respond intelligently. Just realized that that's never stopped me before :-)

Gabriele Campbell said...

I had no idea there's an archangel day, despite the fact my brother (Michael) and I are named for them.

Little did my mother know how un-angelic we would turn out. :)

Jeff said...

Great images Liam.

The Book of Revelations... Pretty wild stuff. I like what Jean Calvin said about the Book of Revelations:

"I don't understand it."